Twenty One Pilots Dominate Rock
Twenty One Pilots Dominate Rock: The rock act has by far the most popular rock album of the year so far, as Blurryface earned 905,000 equivalent album units in the tracking period of Jan. 1 through June 30, 2016. (Equivalent album units are comprised of traditional album sales, track equivalent albums [TEA] and streaming equivalent albums [SEA].) Trailing in second place is Panic! at the Disco’s Death of a Bachelor, with 577,000 units. Blurryface’s hit single “Stressed Out” is the top selling digital rock song at the mid-year point (1,586,000 downloads) and is the only rock song to sell more than a million copies in 2016.
They are an American musical duo that originates from Columbus, Ohio. The band was formed in 2009 by Tyler Joseph along with former members Nick Thomas and Chris Salih, and currently consists of vocalist/keyboardist Tyler Joseph and drummer Josh Dun.
2016’s Mid-Year Top 10 Rock Albums (Based on Overall Equivalent Album Units)
1. Twenty One Pilots, Blurryface (905,000 units)
2. Panic! at the Disco, Death of a Bachelor (577,000 units)
3. David Bowie, Blackstar (447,000 units)
4. Coldplay, A Head Full of Dreams (392,000 units)
5. David Bowie, Best of Bowie (347,000 units)
6. The Lumineers, Cleopatra (335,000 units)
7. Disturbed, Immortalized (318,000 units)
8. Radiohead, A Moon Shaped Pool (310,000 units)
9. Twenty One Pilots, Vessel (301,000 units)
10. James Bay, Chaos and the Calm (284,000 units)