Leondale Accident: ER24 paramedics transported two people yesterday morning, one that was critically injured, after four vehicles collided at the Heidelburg and Van Dyk Road intersection in Leondale, south of Johannesburg. When paramedics from the ER24 Jhb South branch arrived on the scene, they found the four vehicles in the middle of the busy intersection. A wrecked light motor vehicle was found lying partially beneath a bakkie. On assessment, paramedics found one man walking around on the scene while another lay trapped inside the light motor vehicle in a critical condition. Once freed, paramedics treated both patients and provided the critically injured man with advanced life support interventions. Once treated, both men were transported to a nearby hospital for further treatment. The cause of the collision is not yet known but local authorities were on scene for further investigations.
Whether you’re driving alone or with passengers, safety should always be your top concern. With more distractions than ever, it’s crucial that drivers know the basics of safe driving and practice them every time they’re behind the wheel. Here are some auto safety tips to follow on the road.
- Don’t allow children to fight or climb around in your car (they should be buckled in their seats at all times). One accidental bump or too much noise can easily distract you from concentrating on driving safely.
- Cell phones can also take your focus away from the task at hand: arriving safely at your destination.
- Avoid driving when you’re tired. Be aware that some medications can cause drowsiness and make operating a vehicle very dangerous. Get the full scoop on drowsy driving.
- Always use caution when changing lanes. Cutting in front of someone, changing lanes too fast or not using your signals may cause an accident or upset other drivers.
- First of all, buckle up. Basic car safety encourages the use of seat belts and car seats at all times. They’re one of your best defenses in a crash. And it’s the law.